Sunday 19 December 2010

The First Post.

I've grown up in a cooking household and as a result, love to cook. My mum and grandma are both amazing cooks with very different styles. Mum is a bit of a foodie who can cook almost anything, if she feels like it, Nana was a farmers wife and is a roast and soup whiz. As kids, my siblings and I spent our winters in South East Asia, and have been keen eaters of Asian cuisine since. Watching mum cook usually ended in me asking her for the recipe, and being told 'oh I just put a bit of this, and about a handful of that and then...'. Really helpful for someone trying to learn! So i've developed my own mismatched cooking style. Sometimes I work from a base recipe and add things to change the flavour, sometimes it's from memory or taste, and most often it's from what ever is in the cupboard. 

I'll share my successes, failures, flat-as-pancake cakes and a bread recipe that magically improves everytime. I'll also be blogging about restaurants, cafes or street stalls that I come across on my upcoming trip through Bali, Malaysia and Vietnam, during my final month in Korea and from back in Auckland.

It's currently -2 in Korea, balmy compared to the -10's and snow we've been having! Last night I put together a hearty beef and red wine casserole and attempted a loaf of handmade white bread. As a bit of a side note, Korea  is probably a terrible place to start a food blog- my student flats had cupboards and equipment better suited to cooking...and a real oven too. Cooking here is bare-bones basic cooking...Koreans don't tend to use spices or herbs aside from salt and chili and i'm really missing basil, rosemary and coriander! My 'oven' is a little toaster oven- and a gem- but not entirely suitable for baking...I am looking forward to getting home and heading to the supermarket. For now- Winter Beef and Red Wine Casserole and 1-Day White Bread.

2 comments:

  1. looking forward to this blog :) if you can convince me that kimchi is useable in any passable way, ill be a convert forever :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you Johnny! I've tried...turns out kimchi isn't much of a team player! We're off on a trip around SEA soon and will be doing plenty of eating and blogging!

    ReplyDelete